Sunday, October 14, 2012

Confident Walk

      During my recent visit home to see family and friends I continually found myself in the exact same position. Scaring the shit out of people after explaining who "the man in the shadows" was from my last blog. Worst of all however, was that while they would start having a look of discomfort on their face, I began laughing at the situation.
     So let me be the first to tell you that I am not prancing around Long Beach looking for things that go bump in the night, and I don't find scary situations funny at all. I find them scary. What I do find funny is how quickly my view of my new surroundings has changed in the few short weeks that I have been here.
    When I first moved up here I was scared to walk a blocks to the store, even in day light. So each time I would hop in my car to go literally a block away. The idea of having my car far away was not an option, so I paid more money than a should have to park at the closest possible garage. But now, just one month later the world I see around me is light years away from what I saw when I first started coming up here. The best way to describe my first impression is by thinking of the scene in Snow White where Snow is running away from the queen through the dark forrest. Everything is dark and stormy and the trees look like they are about to grab and eat her!

Except for me, I saw the world this way even in pure day light. But I slowly started venturing to the coffee shop that's jut across the street, and even eventually made it to the Von's a block away (however I did call my mom while I was walking, just in case). In a short amount of my time though all of this faded away, and I some how just stopped feeling the same anxiety about my new surroundings. It was never that I was scared for my safety, it was just that in the distance things looked alarming.
    Now, I've began seeing my new town the same way I used to see Escondido. The familiarity make me feel confident and strong. I still don't go walking around at night, but at least in the day time I can enjoy walking the 5 blocks down to the Fresh & Easy to get veggies for the week. And walking the 2 blocks to the beach where enjoy the ocean. There is no doubt that Long Beach is not as safe as Escondido, but what really matters is that I'm a smart cookie. I know when and where I can go as to avoid any danger. Thanks to mom and dad I'm smart enough to know when I can walk around and when I can't, and really that's all I can do. So thanks mom and dad for not making me an idiot who thinks they are invincible. And to show my appreciation I promise to not venture into scary parts of town at night. 


P.s. I talked to my neighbor about the scary man and he said that he noticed him too, and to holler for the neighbor if I see him again. Also he said he is going to talk to the owner about it. I haven't seen the scary man again though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment